June 9, 2009
It was 7:30 in the evening, and I had not yet made dinner.
The family was valiantly but quietly staving off hunger by munching
chips and bananas and eating spoons of cream cheese.
It was time to throw together a meal, or everyone would be going
straight for the Bread and Circus (sold by Whole Foods) package
of vegan chocolate cupcakes, which are just yummy but which were
really for dessert.
So I pulled out for 4 servings: a cup of basmati rice, two packets of firm organic tofu (diced), three medium sized zucchinis, 3/4 teaspoon garlic paste, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, sesame oil, 1/2 a lemon, crushed red pepper and a teaspoon of sugar.
After getting the rice cooking, I threw all of the other ingredients together and at once in a heavy pot. I simmered the mix for about 12 minutes, or until the zucchini began to get soft. I served the tofu and veggie over a bed of warm basmati rice. There, a quick and nutritious meal, and not so heavy that we couldn't reach for the great cupcakes afterwards.
Sopa Verde de Elote
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment